June is Ohio Wine Month and there is plenty to choose from. The best place to enjoy Ohio wines is at one of our state’s 148 wineries. You’ll be able to enjoy a variety of wines from special reserve wines to fun patio wines. We’re partial to Ohio’s great Riesling and Cabernet Franc. Plus many of the wineries offer special events, entertainment and food. Visit our winery reports page to get an inside look at some of them.
Two other great resources are the Ohio Wine Producers Association website and the Taste Ohio Wine website sponsored by the Ohio Grape Industries Commission. Of course, don’t forget to look for Ohio wines at your local wine shop, grocery store and restaurants.
To get you acquainted with some of the top wines in the state, below we have some of the results of the 2011 Ohio Wine Competition, which was held in Wooster, Ohio, last month.
There were 268 wines judged and below you will find the best of show as well as the consensus gold winners. The CG winners were judged to be gold medal quality unanimously by the nationally renowned panel of judges.
Raise your glass!
BEST OF SHOW
- Overall Best of Show: Burnet Ridge, Pinot Gris, 2010, Lake Erie
- Best of Show White Wine: Ferrante Winery, Riesling, 2010, American
- Best of Show Red Wine: Grand River Cellars, Cabernet Franc, 2009, Grand River Valley
- Best of Show Blush/Rose: Heineman Winery, Sweet Belle, Non–vintage, Lake Erie
- Best of Show Fruit Wine: Breitenbach Wine Cellars, Red Raspberry, Non-vintage, American
- Best of Show Dessert Wine: Breitenbach Wine Cellars, 4 Barrel Tawny Port, Non-vintage, American
- Fruit Wines from Natural Fruit Breitenbach Wine Cellars 3 Berry Blend NV American CG
- Fruit Wines from Natural Fruit Breitenbach Wine Cellars Red Raspberry NV American CG
- Dessert: fortified, dry or sweet Breitenbach Wine Cellars 4 Barrel Tawny Port NV American CG
- Pinot Gris/Grigio Burnet Ridge Pinot Gris 2010 Lake Erie CG
- Riesling Debonne Vineyards Riesling Lot 907 Reserve 2009 Grand River Valley CG
- Riesling Ferrante Winery & Ristorante Riesling 2010 American CG
- Cabernet Franc Grand River Cellars Cabernet Franc 2009 Grand River Valley CG
- Ice Wine Grand River Cellars Vidal Blanc Ice Wine 2008 Grand River Valley CG
- American Blush/Rose Heineman Winery Sweet Belle NV Lake Erie CG
- American White: Blends Ravens Glenn Winery White Raven NV American CG
- Flavored Fruit Wines/Specialty Stone Crest Vineyard Blue Stone NV American CG
- Hybrid Red: Blends Valley Vineyards Red Reflections 2009 Ohio River Valley CG