Surprise! Chilly weather can mean something good – like the Grand River Valley Ice Wine Festival, now in its 13th year. The festival is located in the Northeastern Ohio in the heart of the Grand River Valley Wine Region. The event will be held March 4, 11 and 18. Five area wineries come together to celebrate this golden nectar otherwise known as ice wine that can only be made in certain parts of the world. Not only is this wine unique but Grand River Valley ice wines have garnered top awards in international wine competitions.
The festival consists of 5 area wineries all within a 10-minute drive of each other. Each winery will provide a sample of their wines, an ice wine glass, and a complimentary appetizer. The event begins at noon and ends at 5 p.m. The cost is $6 per person at each winery.
Patrons begin at the winery of their choice for this fun, progressive Ice Wine tasting throughout the Grand River Valley wine region. Participating wineries include Debonné Vineyards, Ferrante Winery & Ristorante, Grand River Cellars Winery & Restaurant, Laurello Vineyards, and St. Joseph Vineyards. Making this event a progressive tasting is one of the reasons the event is such a draw. Patrons will have a unique experience at every winery and will be able to see different sights around the area.
Many wineries have added “extras” for people to enjoy. Some of the extras include special wine dinners featuring local meats, cheeses and vegetables, ice carving, dog sledding, food demonstrations and several artisans. Most of these “extras” are free but some will cost the patron a small additional charge. In addition, many of the winemakers will be on hand for people to talk to and other wines will be available for people to taste.
"This year is especially exciting for us here at Debonne Vineyards," says Tony Debevc, President. "Our 2013 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine garnered the top award at the San Francisco Chronicle wine competition being recognized as the sweepstakes winner for "Best Dessert Wine". In addition, our winemaker, Ed Trebets, garnered the same award for "Best Dessert Wine Maker". The festival provides a great opportunity for patrons to taste this award winning ice wine and the award winning ice wines at the other wineries as well.
In an effort to help the local food banks, the wineries are encouraging everyone to bring in canned food items for which they will receive $1 off at each location. For more information about the Ice Wine Festival call 440-466-3485 or visit www.wggrv.com for a list of details.
Appetizer Menu & Events include:
- APPETIZER: Smokey Salmon Pate on Cracked Pepper Crackers
- Sled Dog Demonstration all day
- Live music Friday night and Saturday afternoon.
- Winter Glow Progressive Dinner – each Friday evening. Call 440-466-3485 or www.debonne.com for more information on the dinner or to make reservations.
FERRANTE WINERY & RISTORANTE
- APPETIZER: Pound Cake with a Peach Ricotta Cream
- Live music Friday & Saturday evenings.
- Take a picture with our giant ice wine bottle.
- Ice Wine Pairing Dinner offered all three weekends. No Reservations Necessary. Visit FerranteWinery.com for our menu & additional information.
GRAND RIVER CELLARS WINERY & RESTAURANT
- APPETIZER: White Cheddar, Bacon & Caramelized Onions Mac & Cheese
- Featuring Ice Carving at 12 p.m;
- Delightful Soy Candles featuring Ice Wine Candles
- Ice Wine Marshmallow Roast All Day (small additional fee)
- Winter Glow Progressive Dinner – each Friday evening. Call 440-298-9838 or www.grandrivercellars.com for menu or more information on the dinner or to make reservations.
- Live music Friday and Saturday evenings from 7:30-10:30.
- APPETIZER: Macaroon with hints of Orange and Dark Chocolate
- Featuring Beach Glass Jewelry by Rita Burns.
- What a video of this years ice wine harvest and pressing.
ST. JOSEPH VINEYARDS
- APPETIZER: Ohio Apple Strudel Infused with Ohio Maple Syrup
- Krzys Family Maple Syrup Demonstration