Univision Donates 57 Artworks to Florida International Frost Art Museum
The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum FIU has announces a major donation by Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) of 57 artworks from its collection, featuring serigraphs, paintings and mixed media works by 40 artists and masters from throughout Latin America and the United States, including: Cundo Bermudez, Coqui Calderon, Humberto Calzada, Antonia Guzman, Wifredo Lam, Rafael Soriano, Fernando De Szyszlo. The artists in this collection are from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, the United States, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The museum will showcase many of the gifted works in the new exhibition Reflections of the Americas: New Acquisitions from the Collection of Univision (Sept. 23-Jan. 3, including Art Basel season). The opening reception is free and open to the public on Saturday, September 23 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. The museum is located on the campus of Florida International University, 10975 S.W. 17 Street , Miami.
Martha’s Vineyard Food and Wine Festival
The Edgartown Board of Trade is honored to announce the Tenth Annual Martha’s Vineyard Food and Wine Festival taking place October 19-22. This four-day grand anniversary celebration of the senses provides memorable experiences that showcase the tastes and talents of skilled winemakers, sommeliers, chefs and culinary artisans from the Island and all over the world.
A few of the featured events of the weekend include:
- Fresh Off The Farm - A delicious, community gathering and weekend kick-off combining Island farms and chefs with wine tastings and the music of the Vineyard’s “Good Night Louise;”
- Somm Throw Down – A face-off of three wine personalities - Joseph Carr, Sam Decker of Atria, and Heather Lynch of Bar Mezzana - to battle for the ultimate pairing of wine and food, prepared by Colin Lynch of Bar Mezzana;
- Award-winning Boston chef Jeremy Sewall Dinner at Harbor View Hotel’s Lighthouse Grill – Jeremy Sewall of Boston’s Island Creek Oyster Bar, Les Sablons and Row 34, joins Lighthouse Grill Executive Chef Richard Doucette to prepare an unforgettable dinner paired with specially selected wines ;
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Dinner – An exclusive prix fixe dinner hosted in a private home, paired perfectly with specially crafted Woodford Reserve cocktail recipes to draw out the best flavors in both dish and drink;
- Ahearn Seminar – A walking tour and discussion with renowned architect Patrick Ahearn on the history of Martha’s Vineyard architecture and how the town of Edgartown developed into what it is today;
- Grand Tasting – Located on the Great Lawn of the Harbor View Hotel, the Grand Tasting is the culmination of the weekend's celebration of Sea, Farm & Vine, showcasing winemakers, spirits, breweries, gourmet foods, and restaurants;
- Champy Brunch – Brunch and bubbly with Jenny Johnson – founder of Champy champagne and tv personality from NESN’s Dining Playbook.
Mobile Hello Penny Bar Rolling Through Southern California
Looking for a touch of elegance and beauty for your next party? Try Hello Penny Bar, a 1946 vintage trailer that has been professionally restored and converted into a mobile bar servicing all of Southern California. The bar has a chic feel designed to make cocktail hour feel magical
Halter Ranch’s Lucas Pope Named to WE 40-Under-40 List
Halter Ranch Vineyard in Paso Robles, has announced that its vineyard manager, Lucas Pope, has been named to Wine Enthusiast’s coveted 40 Under 40 List in the upcoming October 2017 issue. Pope is first vineyard manager to ever make the list. The 40 Under 40 list is normally made up of winemakers, sommeliers, and wine media influencers. Pope was named to the list for his, and Winemaker Kevin Sass’s groundbreaking and innovative work in helping Halter Ranch beat back Red Blotch, a slow-progressing disease that over time can destroy grapevines, which is running rampant in California. Halter Ranch Vineyard, a historic property on the west side of Paso Robles, specializes in estate-grown Bordeaux and Rhône Valley varietals and blends.
It’s About Time: The Barbera Festival Scheduled
The Barbera Festival is scheduled 11 AM to 4 PM Saturday, September 16, at Terra d’Oro Vineyards and Winery in Plymouth, California. Nearly 80 wineries from all over California and beyond, including the Sierra Foothills, Paso Robles, Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, Livermore, Ventura County, Lodi and the Bay Area, will be pouring Barbera wines to more than 2,000 attendees. The event includes top area chefs preparing gourmet food, four tents of art and artisan crafts, and live music. Apparently this year other Italian varieties like Vermentino, Sangiovese, Montepulciano, and Pinot Grigio, are trying to crash the party. Tickets are $50 in advance.
Dry Creek Vineyard Celebrates 45 Years of Family Winemaking
On August 24, 1972, Dry Creek Vineyard Founder and California wine pioneer David Stare received the necessary permits to build the first new winery in Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, following Prohibition. Founded in 1972, Dry Creek Vineyard paved the way for a renaissance of winemaking and viticulture in the Dry Creek Valley. Happy Birthday!
City Winery Expands: 5th Location in Boston, DC Coming Later This Year
City Winery, founded in 2008 as Manhattan’s first fully-functional winery, restaurant, music venue and private event space, with locations in Chicago, Nashville, and Atlanta, will open its fifth location in Boston this October with a sixth slated for later this year in Washington D.C. Over 60% of the wine produced by City Winery goes into their eco-friendly on-tap system, which uses neutral argon gas. After 6-18 months in a barrel, the wine is transferred straight to stainless steel kegs rather than into the bottle. Tap lines automatically cool the wine to its optimal temperature, making the wine ready to serve.
City Winery guests are invited to enjoy the Barrel Room tasting bar and restaurant, where they can try house wines served fresh on tap, straight from the cellar. Tasting flights are offered to sample the many wines made in house, along with an award-winning wine list featuring over 400 wines from many of the top producers from all over the world.