Number 1 Tip For Locating Great Wineries
Such was the case during our recent visit to Sonoma where we discovered a truly great winery in Dry Creek Valley, Lambert Bridge. The recommendation for Lambert Bridge came from the marketing director at Dry Creek Vineyard. When we finished our visit there we loaded into the van following a her hot tip.
Lambert Bridge Experience
When we walked into the tasting room, it was like entering a wine sanctuary. The décor features rustic wood finishes, soaring ceilings and a beautiful stone fireplace. We were greeted by J.P Lonergan, the estate sommelier.
During the wine country wild fires in October 2017, Lambert Bridge avoided major fire or smoke damage. Thankfully, 90% of the harvest was in, although a full block was lost in the Moon Mountain AVA. Some staff members had to evacuate and the entire region was impacted in one way or another. JP displayed a blob of metal melted by the intense heat of the fires that damaged property and took lives, but couldn’t overcome the spirt of the wine community.
Spot-On, Sophisticated Wines
Lambert Bridge is known for their meticulous focus on quality, with a berry-by-berry sorter, small-lot fermenters and premium French oak barrels. The quality shows brightly in their lineup of reds.
We tasted a trio of Zinfandel:
- 2014 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel – Cherry and spice with dark fruit. Has 2% Petite Sirah. SRP – $50
- 2015 Meyers Vineyard Zinfandel – Nice pepper and brambly fruit. Well balanced.
- 2013 Forchini Zinfandel – From a benchland vineyard with gravelly soil. Wild raspberry and bright acidity. SRP – $60.
Three powerhouse reds closed our tasting:
- 2013 Winery Ranch Vineyard Petite Sirah – This inky dark wine has deep blackberry flavors and is a perfect pairing for roasted meats. A wonderful bargain at $55.
- 2012 Limited Selection Cabernet Sauvignon – Baked cherries and spice swirl in this limited production wine. SRP $110.
- 2013 Crane Creek Cuvée – This signature wine is 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec. A delicious, ripe blend with sophisticated flavors. SRP $110.