In case you’ve ever wondered, it’s 2,350 miles from Toledo, Ohio, to Napa Valley. But that doesn’t mean that vino lovers in the Glass City are devoid of local wine destinations.
Wineries Are Closer Than You ThinkWe’ve scanned the maps and fired up our mapping programs to determine the closest wine destinations to Toledo (OK, I actually measured from my home in Perrysburg). The results are rather surprising:
- There are four wineries/winery tasting rooms within 45 miles.
- Within an hour’s drive (65 miles) there are 11 wineries or tasting rooms.
- You can visit wineries in three states (Ohio, Michigan and Indiana) without traveling more than 82 miles.
Here are the 14 closest wineries to Toledo:
- 11.83 miles -- Johlin Century Winery, 3935 Corduroy Road, Oregon. I’ve never heard of this place and never, in 15 years of living in the Toledo area, read a story about it or heard of anyone who has been there. What’s the deal? Nevertheless, it is listed on the Taste Ohio Wines website. If you’ve heard of it, please leave a comment. Knowing nothing about it (and seeing a rather nondescript website) I can’t recommend it. But it is there.
- 16.8 miles -- Benfield Wines, 11828 Shaffer Rd., Swanton, OH. The newest addition to our list. A quaint tasting room two miles from the Toledo Airport. The emphasis is on fruit wine, but there's a Shiraz listed as well. Tasting room currently open on weekends or other days by appointment.
- 17.46 miles -- Majestic Oak Winery, 13554 Mohler Road, Grand Rapids, Ohio. One of the newest area additions. Just a short, scenic drive from Toledo, this winery offers a spacious tasting room, scenic grounds and a nice lineup of wines. Check their calendar for cool special events. Check out our report for more information.
- 36.47 miles -- St. Julian Winery Tasting Room, 700 Freedom Ct., Dundee, Michigan. You can taste a wide selection of St. Julian wines that are usually unavailable in retail stores. Tends toward simple and sweet wines, but there are some worthy reserve wines.
- 44.83 miles – Mon Ami Historic Winery and Restaurant, 9845 East Wine Cellar Rd., Port Clinton. Some interesting wines, great scenery and excellent restaurant. A nice side trip when visiting this scenic Lake Erie area.
- 47.45 miles – J. Trees Cellars tasting room, 703 E. Chicago Blvd. Tecumseh, Michigan. This great winery has relocated its tasting room from Blissfield to Tecumseh. Truly outstanding Dry Riesling and ice cider. Check out our report for more information. Remember the location is now Tecumseh.
- 50.42 miles – Heineman Winery, Put-In-Bay, Ohio. This is all about the amazing Lake Erie experience. The winery is on an island. You’ll have to decide if it is worth the trip to sample the 25 different wines with the mostly sweet Lake Erie grapes. Scenic summer destination.
- 50.52 miles – Pentamere Winery, 131 E. Chicago Blvd., Tecumseh, Michigan. This is a hip, urban winery on the main street in downtown Tecumseh. This is a historic town with lots of great shops and restaurants. The tasting room is expansive with an interesting gift shop, long bar and plenty of wine. The wines, produced on-site, are made with grapes from the Great Lakes watershed. Check out our report for more information.
- 50.98 miles – Hillside Winery, 221 Main St., Gilboa, Ohio. Haven’t visited this winery yet, but it looks like it has a wide assortment of wine. I’ll be dropping in on them soon! Tasting room has a view of a historic bridge over the Blanchard River.
- 50.99 miles – Hermes Vineyard/Sand Hill Winery, 6413 South Hayes, Sandusky, Ohio. This winery has some noteworthy wines and a cool tasting room in a historic barn. Check out our report for more info.
- 53.40 -- Spotted Dog Winery, 108 E. Michigan Ave., Saline Michigan. This is a winery with a wide selection of wines. It is a favorite with some of our readers, so check out their comments. Any easy drive up U.S. 23.
- 54.99 miles – Firelands Winery, 917 Bardshar Rd., Sandusky. Firelands is the largest wine producer in Ohio and has some nice wines, including its Gewürztraminer. Slick tasting room. They have been making wine since 1880, so it’s time you made the trip. Check out our report for more info.
- 63.39 miles – Chateau Tebeau Winery, 525 SR 635, Helena, Ohio. This is an appealing newcomer on the Ohio wine scene. Traminette, Pinot Gris, Cabernet Franc and Frontenac – there is a lot to like. On the list to get a visit from the TWAV tasting team.
- 59.03 miles – Kelley’s Island Wine Company, Kelley’s Island, Ohio. This is another island winery on the somewhat tamer Kelley’s island. Enjoy the island vibe, a relaxing meal and a game of volleyball!
- 71.77 miles – Stoney Ridge Winery, 07144 County Rd. 14, Bryan, Ohio. Scenic location plus outstanding special events. Sweeter wines dominate. Wine list includes a number of fruit wines.Check out our report for more info.
- 81.88 miles – Satek Winery, 6208 N. Van Guilder, Fremont, Indiana. Very close to Pokegon State Park. Lively tasting room with some outstanding wines. Be sure to check out their Chambourcin. Check out our report for more info.
In case you wondered:
- It is 154.92 miles to Ferrante Winery and Ristorante in Geneva, Ohio.
- It is 320.65 miles to Forty Five North Vineyard and Winery in Lake Leelanau, Michigan.
- It is 387.10 miles to Dr. Frank’s Vinifera Wine Cellar in Hammondsport, New York.
- It is 2,348.16 miles to the Charles Krug Winery in Napa Valley, California.
Technorati Tags: wine,Toledo,Ohio wines
Photo Credit: DVS1mn via Compfight cc