In my other life I work for a scientific organization where the emphasis is on things being evidence-based. There’s an enormous focus on measurement.
It’s a good thing too, because metrics are a huge component of blogging and social media. I track all sorts of metrics, like unique visitors, page views, time spent on the blog, number of subscribers, Twitter followers, Facebook fans and on and on.
Everyone likes to keep score. This is America, after all.
If there is a “golden ticket” for blog publishers, it is a comment from a reader on a blog post. I’d love to measure comments by the bushel and here are a few examples of what we’d like to see:
- “Hey, thanks for visiting our winery. We loved your write-up. A special bottle of reserve vino is headed your way.”
“You are to be commended for your high ethical standards and superior journalistic skills.”
If only! Instead, spammers and no-goodniks have invaded the sanctuary of blog commentdom. For the past month or more, my inbox has been bloated with phony comments designed to promote bogus websites or spread an insidious computer virus. It’s not unusual to get a dozen a day.
I review each comment before they are published, so these get caught in the moderation queue before they make it to the blog. But other blogs allow comments to go up without this safeguard. So these spammers are able to lure people to their sites much more easily than with an individual email.
Here’s an example of these laughable comments:
- Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth was a amusement account it. Glance complicated to far brought agreeable from you! However, how could we keep in touch? Also see my site > printable-coupons
- Thanks for sharing your thoughts on cheap discount cigarettes. Regards
- Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post plus the rest of the website is also very good. Look at my page causes of urinary tract infections in men
- Fantastic support from this blog! Thanks alot for the info I required
- Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link
to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol Look into my web page ...
Comments from real, live readers about our posts are appreciated! Spammers only detract us from our mission of keeping our corner of the world informed about dynamite wines, superb wineries and the coolest wine-related events.
Photo by: Kristina D.C. Hoeppner